Spending time with the kids on hot lazy summer days can be a great family bonding experience. Or it can be incredibly trying. There’s nothing worse than hearing, “I’m bored, Mom. There’s nothing to do!” While I like to encourage my kids to be resourceful and make their own fun, I also like to steer them towards interactive games they can play together or that we can play as a family.
Here are some of the best ones I’ve found.
1. TENZIS (a ridiculously simple dice game that’s great for all ages)
2. DWEEBIES (an obsessive card game)
3. Story Cubes (dice covered with pictures inspire spontaneous story telling)
4. Apples to Apples (great game for a big group – also a vocabulary expander.)
5. NADA (a new very portable matching dice game)
6. Spot it (this game forces your kids to pay attention – we like the “hot potato version”)
Since these are small and portable, I throw a few in my suitcase on holidays in case we’re stuck in an airport lounge, or a restaurant that takes two hours to make spaghetti! I have even started to keep a deck of playing cards in my purse at all times. My family loves to play “I doubt it.”
What are your kids’ favorites?
We have been incredibly lucky with our fantastic travel opportunities over the past two years. I wanted to share our latest adventure a trip to Istanbul Turkey. It’s a long haul from LA, but if you have the chance to visit Turkey, the city is fascinating. Here’s a link to a piece that I wrote for the Four Seasons Istanbul, and you can click on this video that links to LACityMom’s new you tube LACityMom Travel channel.
From the Four Seasons Family Holidays Website:
“Your family will love Istanbul, Turkey. And the good news is: there are two Four Seasons in this exotic, historic, friendly city: Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at the Bosphorus, a gorgeous luxurious property perched right on the banks of the Bosphorus River, and Sultanahmet. Visiting both is a great way to experience different areas of this fascinating place.” Click here to read full article.
CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR LACITYMOM TRAVEL VIDEO !
If you’re looking for something fun but also cultural to do with your little ones, The Hollywood Bowl has daily music performances and Art Workshops for kids from July 7th – August 1st. This is such a great program and a wonderful way to introduce your children to music. Here’s all the info below.
SummerSounds is a four-week festival of world music and arts for children ages 3 to 9 takes place weekday mornings, beginning on Monday, July 7, and running weekdays until Friday, August 1, 2014. SummerSounds explores world music through creative, fun-filled programs, introducing music and art from a different dynamic culture each week and engaging families in an interactive and inspiring story-driven concert experience.
- Traditional Irish Music with Chicago Reel July 7-11
- Classical Indian Bollywood Music with MKM Bollystars July 14-18
- West African Music with Babá Ken & the Nigerian Brothers July 21-25
- Salsa and Latin Jazz with the Louie Cruz Beltran Latin Jazz Ensemble July 28-August 1
Tickets are $15 per person—or $12 when purchasing all four programs.
For details click HERE.